googlea875c0213e6e807d.html] Fandads: C2E2 Recap

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

C2E2 Recap


C2E2 came and went and the Fandads were there to partake in the festivities. Although I did miss last year's C2E2, I did make sure that I was going to be able to attend this time with my little girl and enjoy kid's day on Sunday.  Last time I came with my little girl I was worried about how she was going to react to the costumed people and I soon found out I had nothing to worry about.  This year was a different story.


As soon as I got there she was already starting to get antsy about the people walking around.  She started crying and saying that she wanted to go home, but after a few minutes of seeing other little kids walking around, she started to relax and wanted to walk around herself.  We walked around looking at the Captain America props that were on display and I just tried to enjoy my time with her.



Usually when I attend any comic show I have a list of books or action figures that I am looking for, but this year I just wanted to go and enjoy the show.  I did have a few books in mind, but I wanted to look around before I actually bought anything.  Plus, since I had my little girl with me, I knew I had to get ready for whatever caught her eye and hope that she didn't want to buy everything she saw.

One cool thing about this year is that we decided to do a Fandad's Scavenger Hunt.  The Scavenger Hunt was going to consist of three elements.  We were going to talk to some of the venders and artists and leave a small prize with them.  Next, we were going to post on our Facebook page and twitter account a clue as to where to find said prize.  Then, the person was going to say a phrase, given by us, to claim the prize.  I purchased a few Xbox Live point cards, some $20 PlayStation Network cards and was prepared to have fun with the scavenger hunt.  One thing we didn't prepare for was the bad reception inside the convention center.  When we were able to post our first tweet we waited for someone to show up. After about 20 minutes we gave up and decided to figure out another way of handing out the prizes.

On Sunday I attended the show again with my family and we tried to partake in some of the kid's day activities.  We met up with my brother-in-law and my nephew and we walked around together talking about the cool things we saw at the show.

My little girl was excited because she saw a Goofy doll the day before and I told her that if she behaved, she would get it.  Along with meeting the Disney Princesses, that was one of the highlights of her day. The other was finding her first hard cover comic.  You guessed it, a Yo Gabba Gabba book.  

We decided to try a different way to give out the prizes on Sunday and that was by posting a picture of me on our Facebook page and telling people that if they saw me and told me that they are a fandad or fanmom, they will get a prize.  Again, it was a bust! I just decided that if anyone would come up to me, I would ask them a question and if they answered correctly, they would get a prize. 

One great moment on Sunday was meeting Daddy Incidents.  My wife and I were deciding what to do next, when a guy asked her where she got the Chewbacca shirt my little girl was wearing.  When she answered him I started talking to him about the show and asked him if he had any games systems.  When he told me he had a Wii, I gave him a Wii $20 card that I had left over from the Ten Days of Fandads, and my Fandad card.  When he read the name on the card he told me that he follows me on twitter and that he was @daddyincidents.  I highly suggest that you check out his blog and follow him on twitter.  His "5 for Friday" is one of my favorite things that I look forward to seeing every week.

I also ran into my friend Steve D. and the guys from comicbookqueers, I had a comic for him, and they gave me the first issue of  "The Strange Talent of Luther Strode"  After reading the issue, I went and bought the collected book of the first six issues. If you haven't picked this up, go and get it. Thanks again guys for giving me this.

A big thank you goes to Redeye's own Elliott Serrano aka @geektome for giving a home to some Star Wars Burger King giveaways that I had. I found them when I was helping my parent's move and I remembered the Sonic DC figures he just got and thought this would be a great addition to his collection.  I met up with him after a panel he was moderating and gave him the toys. 

This year's show was great and I just wished I had more time to check out the panels or maybe get some autographs, but overall I had a fun time.  I did end up picking up a Walking Dead book that I was looking for and my little girl got the Goofy doll that she wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment