googlea875c0213e6e807d.html] Fandads: Lessons learned from Dad 2.0.

Monday, February 23, 2015

Lessons learned from Dad 2.0.




I just returned from the chilly streets of San Francisco to the freezing streets of Chicago after attending the Dad 2.0 Summit and I feel a little saddened when I think about it.  You know, like on the last day of camp everyone promises to write to each other and be best friends forever. The last day of the summit was like that, but the only difference is most of us are already best friends when we meet there and we will always be connected thanks to the internet.

Now I am going to write a full post on my experience at the Dad 2.0 Summit, but this is the TL:DR version, which will just highlight a few takeaways from the trip.

Since this was my first Dad 2.0, I wanted to write a little something for those that are thinking about attending, so here are a few things that I came up with.

1.  There is no awkwardness.

One thing that I was worried about was meeting and talking to the other dad bloggers, but you know what, I was worried about nothing.  Due to me being active on the Dadbloggers page, most of these guys already recognized me.  It was more like running into an old friend than meeting a stranger.  I felt welcomed and very comfortable after a few minutes at the summit.

P.S. Make sure you have a picture of yourself as your avatar picture, it will make it easier for people to recognize you.

2.  Find a roommate.

If you want to save a little bit of money for the trip, find a roommate.  I was fortunate enough to have two great roommates for my stay: fellow scholarship winner Justin Connors and SF Dad Group member Mike Heenan.  Sadly, Mike left early because he was stricken with a fever, but just hanging out with him and Justin solidified our friendships.  I learned a lot from these guys and hopefully vice versa.

3.  Make a plan and stick to it.

It can be a little overwhelming when you get to the summit.  There are lounges to visit, cars to test drive, conference rooms filled with brands and panels to attend.  I did make an itinerary before I left for the conference, but I did not stick to it.  I did attend a few panels I wanted to, but lost track of time talking to brands, that I missed a panel I really wanted to see.  Set your alarm on your watch, phone or with the front desk to find you, but make sure you attend some of these panels.

4.  Pack accordingly.

I overpacked and I am not ashamed of it.  I knew that I was going to get sweaty (yoga class and running) so I bought extra of everything.  Yeah, maybe I overpacked, but just in case something happened, I was covered.  Also, you want to keep in mind all the swag that you will be taking home; you will need room for that.  I brought an extra gym bag with me and picked up another gym-like bag from one of the brands and both of those were filled with goodies.

Ok, if you are planning to attend the next summit in Washington D.C., keep some of these tips in mind and maybe you'll have a wonderful experience like I did.

Thanks for reading and keep an eye out for the extended version of my experience soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment