googlea875c0213e6e807d.html] Fandads: Genesis of Fandads: Origins

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Genesis of Fandads: Origins

"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." - 1 Corinthians 13:11

There are tons of inspirational quotes out there, just Google inspirational quotes or type in "words to live by" and you'll get over half a million results, but this passage from the bible is one of my favorites. If I'm not mistaken Cereal Killer even quotes it in Hackers. (which if you haven't seen, you should, at the very least just to check out Angelina Jolie)

I guess it resonates with me because I'm not sure if I've ever been able to "put away childish things". I may interpreting it too literally but I still derive a great deal of joy from video games, comic books, movies, and other kinds of gaming. I also know that I am definitely not the only one. Being a "geek" has definitely become more mainstream. Lance Briggs of the Chicago Bears is an avid comic book reader. The Big Bang Theory is one of the most watched shows on television. Several movies based on comic books are made every year and most are quite successful at the box office. I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this, maybe I'm still trying to rationalize why I spend time and money buying books about a monkey hitman. (from the pages of Deadpool in case you were wondering)

I know what you're thinking, well you might be thinking; did he mean a hitman who only kills monkeys or a monkey who happens to be a hitman? (it's a monkey who is a hitman, btw) Sorry I'm rambling now, what you really might be thinking is what is this all about? It's about an idea, to start a blog about geeky stuff and about being a dad. Raising a child and working on this whole being a "adult" thing without forgetting how to have fun. I know it's been done, there are tech blogs and geek blogs, and geeky dad websites, but what the hell, everything's been done before. Maybe we can do it a bit differently.

We? You noticed, good for you. Along with me for the ride is Victor Aragon, he's my Obi-Wan, I'm his Padawan learner. I'm Peter Parker to his Uncle Ben, or something like that. He's already entered the realm of fatherhood, and is a fellow geek. He's also been working on a comic and some other things that will fit in nicely on our little website. Along the way we'll have polls, forums, photos, comics, reviews, and a whole lot of other content.

I think that about wraps things up, except for something I sort of hinted at. I too will soon be a daddy. My wife is due in August. Wish me luck, I know my kid's going to need it, his dad's kind of an idiot.

-Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment