googlea875c0213e6e807d.html] Fandads: To 3D or not 3D, that is the question...

Monday, May 2, 2011

To 3D or not 3D, that is the question...

Let's talk about the Nintendo 3DS.  I know it's been out for a while but I wanted to spend a little time with it before I posted my review. Let's start out with the basics. It costs as much as a console and it doesn't come with a game. Ouch. Sure, it has AR Games, A Mii game, and Face Raiders, but I'm not sure if it's enough. Now, I'm upgrading from an old DS so I'm not sure what was on the DSi but the camera, activity log, recorder and pedometer are all new to me and fun additions. It's pricey but it kept me busy until I was able to purchase a game a few days later.


AR Games are what sold me, I saw Jimmy Fallon playing them on his show and I was impressed. I still wasn't sure I wanted to shell out the money but my birthday was just around the corner and my wife was kind enough to buy it for me. But enough about me, let's get to the games.

AR Games is decent, it'll hold your attention for a while and it's a nice way to show off the system. Face Raiders was actually the most popular game among my friends and family, there's just something fun about shooting the floating dismembered head of someone you love. The Mii game along with Street Pass has kind of been a fail for me. I've had it for over a month now and I live in a huge metropolitan area and I still have yet to hook up with anyone else that has a 3DS. For those of you that might not be familiar with Street Pass, it basically lets your Mii jump on to other systems and lets you collect Miis from others.

Street Fighter IV 3D. Pretty sweet, the best of the crop right now. The 3D works well with this title and the game has been "dumbed down" a little which is perfect for me, but the hardcore fight games fans might find it a bit too easy. I applaud the decision to make it a bit easier, not only is it on a new gaming system but portables usually aren't the easiest games to play fighters on. Online play worked well, the graphics are excellent, this one is worth the price of admission.

Pilotwings Resort. Hmm...well, it shows off the system nicely, but it is a Pilotwings game and there's only so much time I can spent hang gliding or wearing a rocket pack. Let's just say I spent more time writing this post than I did playing Pilotwings.

Madden NFL Football was not as bad as I thought it would be. The music is really good, seriously. Hmm...maybe it is if that's the first thing I can think of. The 3D sweet spot wasn't as bad as others have said it was, and I thought it looked pretty decent. I suppose some people are comparing it to consoles, of course it isn't as polished, but it's a launch title. I guess the lack of multiplayer really sucks, but I didn't seem to miss it, then again I don't have too many friends, heh. Okay so maybe this one isn't a buy, but rent it, maybe. The five on five mode is fun.

Ghost Recon - Shadow Wars. The dialog, script, or whatever you want to call it is brutal. However, if you can get past that, this isn't a bad game. I'm still playing it, and so far I kind of dig it. It reminds me of an old school turn based game, X-COM:UFO Defense. Now, I have to warn you, this isn't your ordinary Ghost Recon game. It may be a little slow for some fans, but I think it works great for the 3DS. Taking turns is ideal in my opinion, you don't have to be on your toes and if you're playing somewhere on the run it's very convenient. You get upgrades, you have different types of soldiers, (sniper, medic, etc.) and the missions get more complicated as the game goes on. It doesn't have the greatest graphics but I think it really works. If you like turn based games or are a fan of the series you might want to pick this up, otherwise it's probably a rent.

Well, that's about it for now. Overall the 3DS is another solid system from Nintendo, and hell, at least I can get online and play a match of SF IV against someone, that's more than I can say about that paperweight I own otherwise known as a PS3.

-Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment