Monday, July 23, 2012
Wizard World Chicago 2012
Wizard World Chicago Comic Con 2012 is just under 2 weeks away and I have yet to buy my ticket. It's not that I don't want to go or anything like that, it's if I go I might spend a little more than I want to. Being the father of a two year old also makes your change your priorities too, especially when her birthday is in the same month. Usually the months leading up to Wizard World I start making a list of the comics or collectibles that I want to buy, but lately, I haven't been going to the comic book shop as often as I used to. While I am still on the fence about going I have decided to make a list of reasons why I should go this year. This list is more of a way of reaffirming why I have to go, if you remember, last time I made a list of my favorite Wizard Word memories.
1. Stan Lee - I have always wanted to meet the man himself and this year I might have the chance to see him, although it does require me to buy a ticket to take a picture with him, but why not. The man is a legend and who knows when I will get this opportunity again. Plus, the man created Spider-Man for Pete's sake!
2. William Shatner - While I didn't watch the original series as much as I would have liked to, I was a fan of Star Trek too. I know it's blasphemy coming from a Star Wars fan, but it's William Shatner! I always liked him as Captain Kirk, but who doesn't love Denny Crane or T.J. Hooker?
3. The Walking Dead - I am a little behind on the comics and I do enjoy the show very much. I can't wait to see where they go next season. I think the panels would be great just to see if any secrets or sneak previews are shared with the crowd. The great thing about the show is that I can catch up on my books and maybe get some other Walking Dead merchandise.
4. Independent Comics - Every year I find some books in the independent section that really blow me away. A few years ago I discovered "68 about a zombie outbreak during the Vietnam war. Great writing and amazing artwork. Another book the I got at Wizard World was Bob Howard, Plumber of the Unknown. Now, this is a bizarre series that's just a lot of fun to read and to see what going to happen to Bob next. Word has it that the newest issue of Bob will premier at this year's Wizard World and you know I will be buying it. Look for these books and buy them.
5. Friends - I've mentioned this before, but Wizard World is always a great time for my friends and myself. The past few years I have run into some old friends and made some new ones. My Brother-in-laws are going this year and it's always fun to share these experiences with family. Sunday is kids day and that is usually the day I take my little girl with me. With her always dressing as a Disney Princess in the house, maybe she can go in costume and enter the kid costume contest.
I think I've convinced myself to go this year, now I have to go and buy my ticket. If there are any reasons I left out, let me know. Also let me know what you are excited about seeing this year at Wizard World.
As always, thanks for reading.